Do you have a few things stashed away in case of emergency? Maybe you’ve got some extra canned soup in the pantry and a case of bottled water in the trunk of your car. It’s so easy to procrastinate. You’ve really been meaning to finish up your emergency supplies, but it just hasn’t happened. With Covid-19 and the confusion it has created throughout the country, the ‘bug out bag’ has been put on the back burner. That’s absolutely understandable, as we have all been through the most unusual and totally unexpected year and a half of our lives… no matter what our age.
In one respect, the Coronavirus has been a good teacher, however, in seeing how totally unprepared we were, both as a country and as individuals, for the pandemic, as well as other emergency scenarios. We never anticipated the restrictions and devastation imposed by the virus and to that point, we must take a good long look at “what if”, as we move forward.
Some emergency preppers have done an excellent job in preparing for unexpected future calamities. Nature can be a violent force. As we write this, there are wildfires raging out-of-control, flood water inundating homes, towns and property. We see tornado warnings on the evening weather forecast frequently. And, hold your breath – who knows when the “Big One” will violently shake our earth?
Now is the Time to Make an Emergency Preparedness Plan
So, it’s time to take a serious look at the ‘what ifs” in our future and become prepared. The following is a little quiz that will allow you to grade yourself on the emergency preparedness you’ve accomplished. You may be surprised at your grade. I hope you get 100%, however, even with preparations I personally felt were adequate for my small family, I honestly fell short. Take the quiz and let us know how you did.
Take the Emergency Preparedness Quiz. Are You Ready?
- Y N Do you have a family communication plan in case of an emergency?
- Y N Do you have all of your vital documents stored in one safe location?
- Y N Do you have a list of medications taken by your family members?
- Y N If you didn’t have water or power to your home, would you have enough food, water and batteries to sustain your family for 72 hours?
- Y N Can the adults in the family locate the financial accounts and vital documents?
- Y N Do you know the blood type of each member of your family?
- Y N Do you know how to turn off your electricity, gas and water?
- Y N Do you know where your breaker panel is? If so, is there a flashlight next to it?
- Y N If a family member was taken to the hospital unconscious would medical personnel know how to contact you?
- Y N Do you know how to perform CPR?
- Y N Do you know why pushing the test button on your smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector does not properly test its performance?
- Y N Do you know the last thing you should do before locking and evacuating your home during an emergency?
HOW DID YOU SCORE?
10 – 12 I am Prepared
0-9 I need more Preparation
We sincerely hope this quiz will prompt you to get back to the business of completing your emergency preparedness plan. Finish up the details of this very critical and important job. Keep you and your family safe. Enjoy the peace of mind knowing this task is done… The time is NOW.